Friday, March 27, 2015

The Illusionists: Witness the Impossible




The Illusionists was by far one of the most engaging shows I've seen in a really long time. I can't count how many times I was on the edge of my seat during this show. I have always been a fan of magic tricks however the entire time I was at this show, I was convinced none of these acts were tricks. The tag line for The Illusionists is "witness the impossible" and that is exactly what I saw. The show was not only spectacular features in magic however entertaining in many ways including humor and theatricality. Coming from a theatre background I loved this aspect.

The amount of sheer talent between these seven illusionists was unreal. I was stunned the entire time. However there was one illusionist that had my attention the entire time and that was Dan Sperry. His role within the show was the "Anti-Conjuror" and he was amazing. His eccentric personality, wit and humor mixed with his magic was what kept me begging for more. I would pay money to watch a show entirely made up of him, just him. His abilities can be seen on youtube and I highly recommend you search it. He conjured birds (and a cockatoo named Spike). I think I held my breath the entire time...however not as long as Andrew Basso, the italian escapologist who kept the entire audience motionless. 


Andrew Basso's part of the show was much more than a magical illusion...because it was pure talent. He is known as the Escapologist. His act mimics that of his hero, Harry Houdini. Andrew Basso was locked in handcuffs and submerged (see picture on left) in a tank of water, UPSIDE DOWN! The time varies, however during the show I saw he managed to unlock himself from the handcuffs, get his feet loose and get out of the tank in under four minutes. This was an interesting part about this section of the show. It wasn't an illusion. It was completely real and absolutely amazing.

If you get a chance to see this show, I highly recommend it. It was great for many ages (most of the adult humor is too witty for children to understand). If you don't get the chance, check out their website or look them up on youtube.

Ordway Center for Performing Arts
345 Washington Street
Saint Paul, MN 55102

Ticket Office: 651.224.4222
Groups: 651.282.3111
ordway.org

Be sure to follow the Ordway on their social media platforms as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment